The point in time when you get to hold off your newborn baby, it is not a piece of cake to express those feelings to others. It originates a kind of reconciliation in your mind and the complacency can be understood by seeing the face of the newborn baby.
The skin of a newborn baby is very mushy and tranquil. A newborn’s skin is so quaggy and cadaverous that it does not produce much oil. The skin is concealed with a white, creamy substance known as vernix. This layer will disembark after few days; you do not need to do anything to pare it off. As the baby was inside your womb for so long, so it will take the time to create intransigence to bacteria or other germs. So, in this case, you can use fragrance fewer products, because chemicals may affect your baby’s skin. The newborn does not get much dirty, so it is okay if you can use less amount of soaps. Because too much using of soaps will make your baby’s skin dry. For the first few weeks, you can wash off your baby with soapy water or just with warm water.
Some home remedies that you can use to take care of your baby’s skin:
- You can use Aloe vera, Chamomile, and Calendula to your baby’s skin.
- Aloe Vera and Chamomile will moisturize the skin
- Calendula will help to reduce rashes caused by using the diaper
- You can make a diaper rash ointment by mixing all these 3 herbs and blend oil with it.
- A daily bath is not necessary for a newborn. You should thoroughly clean your baby after changing each diaper.
- Many people prefer to use baby bath gel, but actually, it is not good for a newborn baby’s skin. It contains some harmful chemicals which help to produce bubbles.
- Try to make your baby wear soft, loose, comfortable clothes.
- After the birth, lots of problems will be seen in your baby’s skin. You do not need to worry about it, just slightly rub it off with soft wet cloth and do not use soap.
You need to remember some important things while handling your newborn baby.
- A newborn’s neck is not strong enough to handle smoothly. Their body joints are very delicate to handle, so be careful while handling your baby in between the neck and baby’s head.
- Always try to wash your hands with soap before touching or feeding your baby. If soaps are not available you can use sanitizer. You need to be cautious and hygiene at this part because your baby’s body is not strong enough to fight against any disease or germs
- Do not allow anyone to kiss on your baby’s lips. Because kissing is the fastest way of spreading diseases or get attacked by germs. Recently Dr. Rajeev Tomar (medical director, head of Paediatrics and Consultant Paediatrician and Paediatric Hepatologist at King’s College Hospital London Medical and Surgical Centre, Abu Dhabi) says “that the first 3 months for newborns are vulnerable. Newborn babies can get in contact with diseases and infections from kisses. This happens because at this period the immune system of newborns is very weak. This disease is known as herpes. Children can also get affected by this disease if their mother has genital Herpes.”
So you need to be careful about this and it really feels bad that you can’t kiss your baby.
- Do not shake your baby. If you want to wake up your baby then do not shake him. Try to tickle his feet or gently touch him to wake him up.
As your newborn will do potty frequently so it is better to use Diaper. Using diaper is good but sometimes it can be harmful to your baby’s skin. If a thing has a good effect, then it is obvious to have a bad effect.
Disadvantages of using Diaper and some tips for preventing it:
- Using Diaper can cause a rash in your baby’s skin.
- So it is better to change the diaper very often. It will be better if you can change it in every two hours. Normally a diaper can soak the materials for 5 to 6 hours, as you know that it might affect the skin, so what’s the benefit of changing it after a long period of time.
- You can use a diaper rash cream, after cleaning the part with soap. This cream contains Zinc Oxide, which helps to form a barrier against moisture.
- You can use wet tissue for cleaning that part because it is not even wise to use soaps every time. If you are changing a diaper for 10 to 12 times in a day, you will be washing it with soap for 10 to 12 times in a day. So, this will make your baby’s skin rough. Moreover, it is also found that using soap near the part of the vagina can cause cancer.
- If you want to use cloth diapers, then clean it at first with fragrance-free detergent. It is wise to use fragrance-free products for your newborns because it contains fewer chemicals.
- Try to avoid using the diaper for all 24 hours. Because your baby’s skin needs to come in contact with air, which is helpful for your baby’s growth.
Right after the birth of your baby, he can go through a minor yellow disease, which is very normal. Do not panic or do not get worried for this, try to keep your newborn under the soft ray of sun. You can get this soft ray of sun early in the morning. While doing this little sun bath, cover the eyes of your baby with a soft cloth. You can continue this remedy for few days, and within a week you will be able to notice the changes in your baby’s skin.
Your baby can also go through some skin rashes right after birth. His skin might get red with a rash. So, in this case, do not use any soaps, this might affect the skin. As the newborn baby’s skin is very, soft, smooth and delicate, so you need to be very careful while taking care of your baby and his skin.